This project involved the retention and restoration of a four roomed 1910’s Federation workers cottage and addition of a new contemporary designed two level rear addition linked to the original building by an internal courtyard and glazed stairwell.
This planning configuration opens up the rooms of the cottage to provide natural light and ventilation and a visual division between the old and new.
The new rear wing includes an open plan, living / dining / kitchen on the lower level and three bedrooms, and bathrooms on the upper level that link to a playroom in the cottage attic. The living areas extend onto a covered rear deck with operable louvered roof and fabric blinds facilitating outdoor living.
A small tiled pool and well-designed rear garden with vegie patch are bookended between the new rear wing and a new double garage accessed off the rear laneway.